Thursday, November 02, 2006

Interpreting Scripts

I have chosen to shoot the script 'Eating Competition' for my direction for camera module. I will take a Brechtian approach to the film, distancing the viewer from the underlying issues of the film by using black comedy, but also make the film look as realistic and as natualistic as possible. I will not be focusing on the eating competition itself, rather the programme makers behind it. The script given will be a film within my film.

I was inspired by the work of Ricky Gervais and Stephen Merchant in the BBC 2 comedy 'Extras'. This succesfully manages to break down the wall between the audience and TV creation behind the scenes. In the embedded clip, Andy Millman (played by Ricky Gervais) is acting in his TV show that he has written but hates because he feels like he has sold out to the BBC. Note the camera switches from what the viewer of that TV show would see to 'real life' shots such as behind the scenes, audience shots and equipment shots. This is the type of intertextuality that I hope to be able to impement into my film.

1 comment:

joolsayodeji said...

like the approach.